Volunteer/ Intern Firefighting Program
The Auburn City Fire Department utilizes full-time staffing and volunteer firefighting personnel to deliver a high level of professional service to the residents of Auburn. If you are an individual with interest in serving your community in this essential service, you will be challenged, provided with exciting opportunities, and gain knowledge and experience that are the pride and tradition of the fire service.
Intern Firefighter Program
Under general supervision, may engage in fire suppression and fire prevention activities in protecting life and property; may respond to emergency medical calls; may assist in the operation and maintenance of fire apparatus and equipment; will attend and participate in fire training and study firefighting techniques.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
Respond to all types of emergency calls including; fire, medical, rescue and hazardous materials related incidents. Also responds to non-emergency public service calls.
• 18 years of age or older
• Possess a valid California Driver's license with the ability to upgrade classification of that license. Submit to District, at time of application, a DMV printout of driver history for review by the District.
• First Responder First Aid, Advanced First Aid, or other First Aid course and CPR must be obtained within one year of appointment.
• Must have the physical ability to perform the essentials of the job requirements of a Firefighter. Will be required to complete a medical evaluation from the City's contracted medical provider prior to appointment.
• The ability and willingness to commit time in training and District related activities.
• Completion of a regional fire academy.
All Intern Firefighter personnel will be required to attend scheduled drills, complete the Basic Skills Course, and obtain required First Aid and CPR training. New Intern Firefighters will not be allowed to respond to emergency incidents until completion of the Basic Skills Course. Intern Firefighters may be subject to evaluations to assist in abilities and training needs. During the first year, there may be limitations placed on Intern Firefighters such as; limited response to emergency incidents based on training and experience, no driving of emergency apparatus to or at an emergency scene, and may be limited to Department calls only.