Construction & Facility Maintenance

The Construction and Facility Maintenance Division is responsible for maintaining city:
  • Buildings
  • Pocket parks throughout the City
  • Public landscaping areas
  • Storm drains
  • Streets
  • As well as maintaining the City's fleet of vehicles including police, fire and transit
Sidewalk Responsibility
Every property owner is responsible for maintaining the sidewalk adjoining his or her property under Section 5610 of the California Streets and Highways Code and Auburn Municipal Code Section 160.056. “Sidewalk area” includes the sidewalk, as well as a parkway or parking strip maintained in the area between the property line and the street line and also includes trees and brush, curbing, bulkheads, retaining walls or other works for the protection of any sidewalk or of any park or parking strip.

If a property owner fails to maintain the sidewalk area, the City can perform the work and collect the cost from the property owner under Streets and Highways Code Section 5615 and Auburn Municipal Code Section 160.064. Property owners should be aware that they may be liable for injury or property damage that results from a failure to maintain their portion of the sidewalk, and so it is in every property owner’s interest to make necessary repairs as soon as possible.

Encroachment Permits
The Auburn Municipal Code sets forth procedures for repairing sidewalks. Any person desiring to construct or repair any sidewalk or improvement in the public right of way must submit an application for an Encroachment Permit (PDF) to the Public Works Department. Please call 530-823-4211, ext. 130, for more information. The Public Works Director will review the application to ensure conformity with the applicable rules, regulations and specifications of the City and issue an encroachment permit. For more information, call the Public Works Department at 530-823-4211, ext. 0.